March 17, 2021
Letter from Blood Bank of Alaska CEO
Over the past year, Blood Bank of Alaska (BBA) has been working with our local health infrastructure and, most importantly, the Alaska community to collect COVID-19 convalescent plasma. Your response has been extraordinary— over 700 donors have applied to donate convalescent plasma and over 300 units have been collected since BBA started this important program in April 2020. We thank each of our donors who made this possible in very difficult times. We salute your generosity and courage!
SARS-CoV-2 infections and COVID-19 hospitalizations have fallen substantially, as has the demand for convalescent plasma. For the first time since the start of the pandemic, the sun light at the end of the tunnel is finally becoming visible. Given this, BBA is suspending our convalescent plasma program and is instead, doing our part to stop COVID-19; by supporting Alaska’s vaccination effort. BBA will continue to monitor the situation, and will restore the Convalescent Plasma program, should it become necessary.
As such, BBA will no longer process or seek applicants to donate convalescent plasma. BBA will also no longer schedule any new appointments for convalescent plasma donation. Currently scheduled appointments to donate convalescent plasma will be gratefully collected, however.
Although our convalescent plasma program is coming to an end, we encourage you to continue donating as a blood donor. Blood donations are always needed, and a single donation can save up to three lives. Please contact us at (907) 222-5630 to schedule your next appointment to help an Alaska patient in need.
We again extend our sincere appreciation and gratitude to each of you for helping your fellow Alaskans during this time. Thank you!
Robert Scanlon, CEO, and BBA Staff
BLOOD BANK OF ALASKA
Blood Bank of Alaska supplies blood to 21 Alaska hospitals and medical centers. Blood Bank of Alaska and its donors are dedicated to serving the Alaska community by providing high-quality blood products and related laboratory services while meeting changing healthcare needs. Learn more at www.bloodbankofalaska.org
Information for Medical Providers and Hospitals
Blood Bank of Alaska would like to thank you for your service during this difficult time. COVID-19 (Coronavirus Infectious Disease 2019) has affected each of us in varying ways and we commend you for the work that you are doing on the front lines to treat patients.
We want you to know that we are here to support you and we have compiled a list of resources regarding the use of convalescent plasma for COVID-19 patients.
- FDA: Recommendations for Investigational COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma:
- FDA: Investigational COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Guidance for Industry: https://www.fda.gov/media/136798/download
- FDA: Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of COVID-19 convalescent plasma for the treatment of hospitalized patients with Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). https://www.fda.gov/media/141477/download
- FDA: Convalescent Plasma EUA Fact Sheet for Health Care Providers: https://www.fda.gov/media/141478/download
- FDA: Convalescent Plasma EUA Fact Sheet for Patient, Parents, and Caregivers: https://www.fda.gov/media/141479/download
- List of ISBT Product Codes:
- E9735 – CONVALESCENT PLASMA|CPD/XX/<=-18C|COVID-19
- E9747 – Apheresis CONVALESCENT PLASMA|ACD-A/XX/<=-18C|COVID-19