VOLUNTARY 14-DAY DEFERRAL REQUEST IN RESPONSE TO 2019 NOVEL CORONAVIRUS-PLEASE DONATE BLOOD TODAY!
Blood Bank of Alaska (BBA) along with other blood banks across the United States is monitoring the evolving situation regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, a SARS strain of viral respiratory infection, which began in Wuhan City, China.
BBA is absolutely committed to safety for therapeutic patients and blood/platelet donors, and is watching the situation closely. Blood Donors who are 60 years of age or older should exercise awareness of the current health situation prior to going to any social setting to include the blood bank, use extreme caution and follow health guidelines from healthcare professionals. Older people and people of all ages with severe chronic medical conditions — like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example — seem to be at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 illness.
All donors should exercise good hygiene and sanitation at all times. Wash hands often with soap and water, do not touch your face until such time as your hands have been washed in detail with soap and water for 20 seconds. Keep common surfaces sanitized.
As a precaution, Blood Bank of Alaska (BBA) is implementing the following voluntary measure request for our donors.
When coming to the blood bank to donate, we recommend, and highly encourage you to wear a mask for your protection, and those around you. Don’t have a mask? No problem, we will supply you one at no expense. BBA Staff are mandated to wear a mask for your protection. Wearing a mask by donors is not required, but is encouraged as a precaution.
Beginning immediately, we are recommending a 14-day self-deferral period for donors who have within the last three (3) weeks:
- Traveled outside the state of Alaska, or have come in contact with anyone having returned from travel outside of Alaska.
- BBA is actively monitoring the situation, via the CDC, Alaska Department of Health & Social Services, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. We will efficiently implement any necessary guidance’s as information becomes available.
Again, the above request is voluntary and is made as a precautionary step by BBA. Please DONATE BLOOD! Please WASH YOUR HANDS!!
Thank you for your patience.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, everyone should:
- Clean your hands often, either with soap and water for 20 seconds, or a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people (at least 6 feet).
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. Wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces daily.
Before you donate at BBA, please consider this:
- If you have recently interacted with an individual who is ill, self-quarantine from the blood bank for 14 days.
- If you have recently traveled outside of the state, upon your return, please self-quarantine from the blood bank for 14 days.
- If you have interacted with someone who has recently returned from travel outside of the state, and they are within their quarantine period of 14 days,
please self-quarantine from the blood bank for 14 days.
WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, AND GENEROSITY, IN SUPPORTING BBA’s EFFORTS THROUGH YOUR BLOOD DONATION! Save a Life Today!!